Saturday, February 11, 2012

Rockwell Delta 11-280 32" Radial Drill Press



Manufactured: 1973 (est.) / Acquired 09-06-2011.  It’s not going to be the prettiest tool in the shop, but I can’t wait to get this one up and running.  After scouring Craigslist for months looking for a good, cheap floor model drill press only to show up "one caller too late" to the guys who bought the ones I wanted, I hit upon the ad for this one at 8:30 in the morning before heading into the office. 

The photo in the ad only showed an extreme closeup of the Rockwell logo on the front pulley guard and the description was equally vague, listing it as a "old heavy drill press."  Given that the asking price was $25, I figured that it was a least worth a look, especially since the older Delta Rockwell power tools have a reputation as being quality goods. 

When I first laid eyes on this thing, I had my doubts, but was taken aback to see a radial arm drill press.  The motor sounded solid and despite a bit of a noise from the spindle due to years of accumulated rust, I knew that radial presses were not all that common and generally commanded a fairly high price  at retail.  I gauged that a Rockwell 1/3 H.P. motor had to be worth at least $25, so some money changed hands, I loaded my first stationery power tool into the wife's SUV and headed off to work. 

The press has been torn down and is now being cleaned and reconditioned.  It will likely need a bit of touch up paint and a new drive belt, but other than that, the only major issue was with the original chuck which had rusted solid and was in need of replacement.  As luck had it, a couple of visits to eBay netted me a NOS Jacobs chuck in the original box for less than the twenty-year old retail price shown on the sales tag.  The motor was cleaned and serviced locally and the cut off ground plug was replaced so that I won't get juiced the first time I'm standing in a damp garage with my hand on the throw rod.

From what I've gathered from other sites, folks either love these things or hate them. The two chief complaints seem to be that the spindle speeds are too fast for metals and that there is a certain amount of flex in the radial arm that makes it difficult to bore holes to a consistent depth.  Given that I rarely work with metal and that the depth issue can be easily addressed with the addition of a set of stop collars, neither of these concerns trouble me.  For me, the negatives are far outweighed by this machine's ability to drill to the center of a 32" circle and the fact that the the drill head can be rotated 90° in either direction allowing for boring at any angle, including dead-on horizontal.

That said, this press will likely meet every need I'll have for it in the shop and will likely outlast me.

9 comments:

  1. i just bought this same drill press today for $60. serial #1242. what is the tightening lever in the front for? in your photo it is at a 45 degree downward angle.
    greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is referred to as the "quill clamping lever" and it serves to lock the quill at a desired point. It is useful in applications such as drum sanding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My late Father picked one up probably 30 years or so ago. I just pulled it out of storage and cleaned it up, yesterday and today. My Delta drill press (Part of my wife' dowery!) couldn't reach to the center of a work piece. This will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My late Father picked up one of these maybe 35 years ago. He has been gone 26 years now. I have it and just cleaned it up and put it in my shop, yesterday. The beauty of it is its reach...considerably longer than the drill press.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments, John...it's good to know that there are a number of these drill presses out there, being used and enjoyed!

      Delete
  5. I just picked one up for $50 yesterday. In the process of cleaning and de-rusting on parts of the horizontal arm where it was never used. Had an issue w the quill dropping ..maybe 5" and in the wat when you move the chuck down to drill. Easy fix tho, was a stop collar behind the front plate was loose.
    so far works great. Not knowledgeable on changing the speeds tho, other than manually pulling the belt to the side and rotateing the pullys by hand then reverse the steps to the next speed pully.
    Found a nice original owners manual for download.
    all in all...nice old tool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that your method of changing the speeds is correct...at least, that's how I change mine! Thanks for the note - I always like hearing success stories from folks who visit my site. Enjoy the drill press and work safe!

      Delete
  6. I just recently bought one also. I found a metal stand for it that should work pretty well. I'm still in the process of getting the stand ready. It can be seen here at my webpage, at the bottom of the page. https://sites.google.com/site/deltacontractorstablesaw/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice drill press! You have a really great shop and some top-notch equipment...I envy that Delta planer! Thanks for your post and I hope that you will check back from time to time. I now have your page bookmarked and will do the same!

      Happy and safe woodworking!

      Delete

Please feel free to post a comment, but be aware that due to spammers, I'm moderating all posts to my site. I'll do my best to review your comment as soon as I can and add it to the site if it is deemed appropriate and accpetable.

I'd like to hear from you and appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog!