Saturday, June 9, 2012

Running like a top...

I spent a couple of days in the garage with my Craftsman Table Saw (Model No. 113.298720) and made some headway refurbishing it.  In fact, I think that I've pretty much got it where I want it to be! The table saw was bumped to the head of the pack due to some upcoming projects that require it to be in service sooner than later.



This is the condition of the saw when I purchased it in February.  It hadn't been abused, but it hadn't seen a lot of TLC either.  There was a lot of built up sawdust inside the housing and as the photo shows, the table had a far bit of surface rust on it...a condition that is easily prevented and that speaks to the negligence of the former owner.

The table cleaned up well after several applications of Rust Free and a good scrubbing with a Scrotch Brite Pad. Some of the heavier rust required a couple of spot treatments with naval jelly and light abrading with fine steel wool. A coat of Johnson's Paste Wax buffed out with a buffing wheel followed the rust removal.


Additional upgrades to the saw include the removal of the original cast zinc pulley wheels on the motor and arbor and the original v-belt. These were replaced with component parts included with the Contractor Saw Performance Package from In-Line Industries - namely, machined steel pulley wheels and an Accu-Link drive belt. 


I shot a video of the installation process (which was incredibly simple) and the end result, and will post it to the blog as soon as I find some time to do some editing. I will say that the upgrade did what it was advertised to do - reduce vibration, deliver more power to the blade, cause the saw to run quieter and improve the cut or the blade.
   
The final addition came in the form of a Delta T-2 Fence and Rail System to replace the substandard fence that came with the saw as original equipment. The upgrade required drilling a couple of holes into the sides of the table and moving the power switch, but the resulting accuracy of the new fence was well worth the cost of the upgrade.

Granted, some would question the wisdom of investing $200 in parts on a saw purchased for $100, but I believe that this saw is now far better than anything that I could purchase new for $300.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to post a comment, but be aware that due to spammers, I'm moderating all posts to my site. I'll do my best to review your comment as soon as I can and add it to the site if it is deemed appropriate and accpetable.

I'd like to hear from you and appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog!