Friday, June 15, 2012

The Bible of Power Tool Maintenance

Many years ago, some testing done by my high school counselors suggested that I had a high degree of mechanical aptitude.  They encouraged me to put that aptitude to good use by becoming an engineer. But, whatever mechanical aptitude I had was offset by an equal amount of ineptitude for mathematics.  Accordingly, I chose an education in the liberal arts and squandered a life of certain mechanical brilliance (*snark*) to instead, write about my travails in refurbishing heavy rusty things with moving parts.

But, every now and again, I still need a little bit of help...


Power Tool Maintenance
by Daniel W. Irvin
Hardcover: 352 pages
Publisher: Glencoe/Mcgraw-Hill (June 1971)
ISBN-13: 978-0070320505

While I'm certain that there aren't a lot of books written on the subject of maintaining stationary power tools, I'm fairly certain that this one is the best of the lot.  Written in 1971 by Daniel Irvin, the then Educational Director of the Power Tools Division of Rockwell Manufacturing Company.  Although designed primarily as an instructional text for high school and college shop classes, Power Tool Maintenance provides a wealth of information for anyone interested in keeping their tools in peak operating condition.

I've included the table of contents to illustrate the depth of information contained in this work and, as the following list will attest, virtually every stationary power tool that one could expect to encounter in a typical shop is discussed with specific attention being paid to the basic functionality and setup of each, preventative maintenance and alignment.
Part One - Basic Maintenance Information
  • Definition of Terms
  • General Troubleshooting
  • Belts and Pulleys
  • Bearings
  • Lubrication 
Part Two - Specific Tool Information
  • The Circular Saw
  • The Radial Saw
  • The Band Saw
  • The Scroll Saw
  • The Drill Press
  • The Mortiser
  • Abrasive Finishing Machines
  • The Jointer
  • The Planer
  • The Uniplane
  • The Shaper
  • The Wood Lathe
  • The Grinder
  • Portable Electric Tools
  • Portable Air Tools
Part Three – Basic Electrical and Parts Information
  • Motors – Wiring and Controls
  • Parts and Service Information
Appendix A – Tool Sources
Appendix B – Supplementary Sources
It should also be noted that the information contained in Appendix B is especially useful for historical guidance in that it provides a handy cross-reference to tool manufacturers and their associated brand names.

Although the book is currently out-of-print, used copies can be found online, but often, at obscenely high prices.  My advice is to keep checking on Amazon and if you can find a good used copy for $20 or less, snap it up.  Mine has already saved many tools from the scrap heap and has paid for itself many times over.  If you can find one for yourself, I guarantee that you won't be disappointed.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Boss: I rescued an older model Craftsman bandsaw, but after struggling with changing the drive belt an motor aligned, the dumb pulley and key keep rattling off! Would book give me some specific advice about that beyond the usual tune-up info? Thanks! Christine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine,

      Mostly, the book covers maintenance, but there may be some guidance on alignment that would be helpful to you.

      Which pulley wheel is coming off? If I read your post correctly, it is the one that drives one of the wheels on the machine, not the one that attaches to the motor spindle. If that is the case, many of the pulley wheels that I have seen attach to a spindle that connects it to the wheel not only with a key, but sometimes with a small set screw that locks it in place on the spindle itself. It could also be that the key is not properly set or is worn down and seating properly.

      Do you have a parts schematic for the saw. If not, you might try to search for one as they can be invaluable when rebuilding an older machine. Let me know if you want some info from the book or if I you have any other questions. The best way to touch base with me is by way of the email address that is listed in my profile.

      I hope that you get your saw up and running soon...best of luck!

      Delete

Please feel free to post a comment, but be aware that due to spammers, I'm moderating all posts to my site. I'll do my best to review your comment as soon as I can and add it to the site if it is deemed appropriate and accpetable.

I'd like to hear from you and appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog!