Thursday, February 4, 2016

Hey...how much is this rusty old piece of crap worth? It's an antique, you know.

It seems odd, even to me, that after quite a long time away from this blog, that the thing that would spur me on to writing another post is being pissed off about something rather trivial.

But...there it is.


No matter the source - eBay, Craigslist, antique malls, or simply, well meaning individuals posting questions on Facebook or similar sites - the two things that always seems to burn my biscuits are 1) folks who believe that simply because an item is old (regardless of its condition), that it must be worth a fortune, and 2) folks who perpetuate this misconception by being less than honest in their assessments and opinions when asked for them.

Recently, one of these well meaning individuals posted the following question on a group that I frequent on Facebook:


Which quickly brought on responses from two well meaning "experts", prompting a third one (me) to wade into the fray...


In case you want a better look, here is what the original poster was asking about:



My reply stated that: "...I think $100 is very optimistic. The Dunlap line were entry level tools that Sears made for small home shops and hobbyists and a 1/4 h.p. motor is a bit underpowered. This one would be a good candidate for a full restore, but parts for machines of this vintage can be hard to find. Look at what the other commenters are saying...one sold his for $40; another got his for free, but would have paid $50 for it. I'd say $50 is about right for someone looking to bring it back to life."

That reply was based upon actually looking at the photos of the item in question and making a judgement call.  You be the judge...



Here's what the lathe looked like in it's heyday...back in 1942:


More on the Companion, Craftsman & Dunlap lines can be found on this excellent webpage.

Remarkably, both responders placed a "value" of this lathe at $100.  BUT, they also both indicated that neither of them came anywhere close to PAYING that amount for a similar lathe or SELLING one for that amount.  The first poster indicated that, with regard to the lathe he had, he "almost gave it away" for a mere $40, and the second received his for free (though, he "would have paid $50 for it.")

My point is this...estimates of valuation are meaningless unless you are the person with cash on hand making the purchase.  In my humble opinion, this lathe is nowhere near being worth $100 EXCEPT for someone who is in desperate need of original parts with which to restore an identical lathe.  It seems clear that the two posters put being kind ahead of being honest and this is exactly why we continue to see so many "old friends" reappearing on Craigslist month after month at completely unrealistic prices.  I might have the Pearl of Great Price, but if the best I can sell it for is $10, then the VALUE of the pearl is $10.

Now, for those of you about to post that "one man's trash is another man's treasure," save yourself the time.  Yes...those men DO exist.  I admit that, from time to time, I am that man.  But, in the words often attributed to P.T. Barnum, "there's a sucker born every minute."

It's time to call a spade a spade...sometimes a piece of junk is just a piece of junk and you should be happy when someone shows up to take it off your hands and helps you make some space in the shop for something worthy of being there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to post a comment, but be aware that due to spammers, I'm moderating all posts to my site. I'll do my best to review your comment as soon as I can and add it to the site if it is deemed appropriate and accpetable.

I'd like to hear from you and appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog!