Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Craftsman 10" Table Saw - Model No. 113.298720



Manufactured: 1987 (est.) / Acquired 02-04-2012. The purchases are getting newer and more expensive...but relatively so.  This one set me back $100, but was a steal at the price and again, my bargain hunting was aided by a very poor Craigslist ad comprised of two very dark and out-of-focus pictures of something that resembled a rusty truck bumper and some text describing this as an "old table saw" that "runs good."

Had this been listed as a Sears Craftsman Table Saw with Cast Iron Extensions, I never would have seen it, as it would have been snapped up in a heartbeat!  The seller and I had to juggle our schedules around a bit and I finally got the "I'm available" call during the early evening hours on what was promising to be a cold, wet and dark night.  The seller's house was in a rural location about five minutes from my house, but I decided to trudge out to look at what I was convinced was going to be a piece of junk - just in case.

The seller turned out to be a very affable young man - a former contractor - who had inherited the saw from his uncle whom had purchased it new.  After we put the saw under load and ran a piece of scrap through it, I was convinced that this saw would come home with me...the problem was, how?  The saw was physically larger than my wife's SUV would accommodate; I really didn't want to disassemble it; and the earliest opportunity that I would have to come for it with a trailer was at least three days away.

As I said, the seller was a very affable young man.  With $100 cash in hand, he graciously offered to load the beast into his pickup truck and drive it five miles back into town for me free of charge.  No fool I, I thanked him for his generosity, we loaded the saw up (no mean feat, even for  couple of plus-sized corn-fed boys) and headed for the storage shed that would serve as the halfway house until spring.  My wife received the "bad" news that I had acquired yet another tool tempered with the "good" news that the storage shed was now full and could house no more.

Although rarely the case, this machine came complete with all of its guards in tact, both the miter gauge and fence and the original instruction manual listing a 1987 purchase date.  No real problems with this one, a bit of rust and sawdust buildup underneath, as well as a few errant paint splatters here and there, but nothing that can't be taken care of with some elbow grease.  

A common complaint about these saws is that the stock fence and miter gauge are sub-par, so this one might see the addition of a Delta T-2 Fence and Rail System at some point in the future.  The 1 H.P. motor might also prove a bit puny when grinding through hardwood, so I may be keeping my eyes open for an upgrade in the 1½ - 2 H.P. range.

As the man said, all things in time...

14 comments:

  1. Did you get the users Manual ?? :O~
    I could sure use a PDF, SCannes Copy Please.
    kaufmankdk@gmail.com
    Thanks, Kurt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kurt, http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/lis_pdf/OWNM/L0804013.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today I acquired a 113.298720 myself and found your page. The tool is in similar condition with tons of potential. Thanks for the user manual!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used mine quite a bit this past summer and it is a good one. I'm sure that you'll be equally happy with yours! Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a familiar story - I just picked one up almost exactly the same way listed on Kijiji (the craigslist equivalent up in Canada), it had been use to stack empty beer bottles on by the original owner's son for the last decade....mine now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some health problems have prevented me from spending as much time in the shop as I would've liked over the past year, but I'm looking forward to getting back to it this summer! Enjoy the new saw and work safe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I spotted one of these today on Craig's List.... I own a 113.298750 I purchased new in 1987. Does anyone know the difference?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have taken a look at a number of photos of the 750s and they all look identical to the 720. My guess is that the 750 may have incorporated some minor modification that did not substantially alter the form or function of the saw, such as the motor being manufactured by a different supplier.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found one in my neighborhood today out by the curb. Has all the extension wings, fences and the motor runs. I think there may be an issue with the tilt mechanism. It looks to be slightly bent. The top is rusted, but its steel and will clean up. Ill take a better look at this tomorrow. I'm very surprised that someone threw this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice find, Mike! I guess that the old adage is true: One man's trash is another man's treasure! If there's anything you need in way of a parts list or a manual, let me know and I'll see what I can get to you.

      Delete
    2. where could I find the slide for the top of the table? Is that the miter Gauge?

      Delete
    3. Yes, that is the miter gauge. A replacement is available through Sears at this link:

      http://www.searspartsdirect.com/craftsman-saw-parts/62704/0009/113/model-113298720/0247/0744600.html

      You might have luck purchasing a used one from eBay. Alternatively, there are several companies that produce higher-end replacement miter gauges, such as Incra.

      Delete
  10. So you've had your Craftsman 113.298720 for about 3-1/2 years now. Do you still have the original fence that came with it? Or did you upgrade? I just acquired the identical saw with the cam lock fence that came with it new. The saw looked very good and the fence seemed to work fine. So how did your fence hold up for 3-1/2 years?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Check out my post from June 9, 2012...I decided to upgrade a a Delta T-2 Fence and Rail System. The original fence that came with my saw was in pretty bad shape. It was usable, but nowhere near as accurate or stable as the upgrade.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post a comment, but be aware that due to spammers, I'm moderating all posts to my site. I'll do my best to review your comment as soon as I can and add it to the site if it is deemed appropriate and accpetable.

I'd like to hear from you and appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog!